Brief overview of the role
Samuel Moore Roofing Ltd is looking to recruit a roofing apprentice to contribute to the sustainable growth of the business and to meet work demands and diversify. They are looking for a committed and reliable individual who has a willingness to learn via on-the-job training and continuous personal development.
What you will do in your working day
The individual will have the ability to work within a team, be self-motivated, have a proactive approach to working practice and be physically fit. Due to the nature of the work the individual will be required to work outdoors in all weathers. We also welcome an individual who has ambition and demonstrates intrapreneurship to drive the improvement of the business.
The core duties of the role include:
- General labouring tasks
- Carrying up tiles
- Waste removal
- Tidying up each day cutting tiles/battens/felt
- Mixing sand and cement
- Gutter cleaning
- On-the-job training/under supervision tiling, slating, lead work, felting and lathing, installation of dry verge/ridge systems, repointing verge, ridge, and chimney
- Loading/unloading vans e.g. waste removal, job preparation for next day, restocking everyday essentials
- A keen eye for detail and compliance when it comes to health and safety, reporting faulty equipment and unsafe working conditions
- Post job clean including gutter clean, scaffolding and ground level as well as waste removal
The role is required to meet working demands and drive the ability for the business to diversify into solar panel installation under a separate entity. The individual will act as a supporting team member under the supervision of a mentor. While they are not at college, they will be working alongside the other members of the team to fulfil roofing works.
The training you will be getting
- Level 2 Roofer at Redcar & Cleveland College
- Functional skills maths & English, if required
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
We are a lifelong learning business who strive to improve continuously. As well as your apprenticeship there will be opportunities inclusive of Approved Installer Training, First Aid Qualification, CSCS Health and Safety Test to acquire CSCS card (mandatory to work on certain sites), NVQ’s in Roofing disciplines, Solar Panel Installer Training. As part of your induction to the business there is online training which covers Health and Safety Essentials, Fire Safety, Ladder Safety, Asbestos Awareness and Working at Height. From time to time, you may be asked to attend toolbox talks/team meetings as part of our Health and safety communication.
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade A*-C/9-4) Desired