Are you looking to build your career somewhere that will allow you to continuously develop yourself?
We are looking for Database Infrastructure Engineers to join our team, working within our Technology Operations team to support a range of database and middleware products that are fundamental building blocks of the Database Operations at ONS.
Our infrastructure engineering team are looking for database engineering specialists to join us, building our capability across Oracle and SQL database technologies and infrastructure in a role with progression, training, and development opportunities.
We are committed to supporting our people’s wellbeing by offering flexible ways of working that support a healthy work life balance. We are happy to explore opportunities with you about working flexibly in line with our policies.
We will be holding a webinar on the 3rd August to talk about Infrastructure Engineering community at ONS. If you are interested in finding out more about the work we do, and our teams plans, please sign up for and come along to our Eventbrite webinar to find out more.
The Database and Middleware Support team are accountable for the design, implementation and operation of products such as Oracle RDBMS, Microsoft SQL Server, Actian Ingres, Cloudera, Oracle Weblogic and supporting technologies.
We are now looking to strengthen this team with experienced database administrators whom possess knowledge in some of the above technologies. We aren’t looking for someone with everything, we want to grow our teams capabilities and offer the training and support to allow someone to do that, so if you have database admin experience, we would welcome your application.
You will work in a team of infrastructure specialists and engineers, an infrastructure engineer supports and maintains infrastructure solutions and services as directed and according to departmental policy.
You will make sure services are delivered and used as required – work with and support third parties to provide infrastructure services.
You will define, build, bring into service, operate, support, performance monitoring, continuous improvement and decommissioning Infrastructure services (SaaS, IaaS, and PaaS), products and platforms to serve a variety of user needs.
Our team culture is based around agile working and providing excellent service to both our internal and external customers.
This role is part of the cross-government Digital, Data & Technology (DDaT) profession framework. As a role within DDaT at the ONS, we also offer benefits such as:
• Protected Learning Time to spend on your personal development and side-projects.
• A supportive and active Community of Practice which you will be expected to contribute to, helping ensure you and your colleagues get the training, development and opportunities you need to progress your careers.
• The opportunity to be part of our annual progression panels, giving yearly promotion opportunities.
As a Database Infrastructure Engineer, and as part of the Technology Operations team, you will be responsible for:
• Maximise the use of tools and technologies to deliver operational excellence
• Actively participates in wider communities of practice, identify good practices operations can adopt and share experiences.
• Share knowledge of tools and techniques and collaborate to improve the capability of the team.
• You will support the services, products and platforms :
- Managing incidents, requests, changes and problems
- Managing the configuration, availability, security, capacity, performance, and cost.
- Engage in continuous improvement activities
- Managing all aspects of the lifecycle of assets from acquisition through to disposal to include CMDB updates.
As a Database Engineer we are looking for you to have the following experience and skills:
• In depth knowledge of database technologies and administration including backup and High availability (ideally in MS SQL and/or Oracle).
• The ability to build, operate, support, performance monitor, continually improve and decommission database services.
• Knowledge and ability to carry out upgrades and patching to existing database and middleware technologies.
• Ability to manage and maintain system access and security.
• Ability to build excellent networks among wider communities of practice, identifying and adopting best practice.
• Experience and knowledge of MS SQL and/or Oracle database administration.
• Knowledge of some of the following technologies: Server operating systems (Red Hat and Windows),Understanding of virtual and cloud platforms & Storage technologies e.g. NAS, SAN and data volumes Behaviours
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Working Together
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Technical Understanding
- Ownership and Initiative
- Troubleshooting and problem resolution
- Information Security