The KIM team provides a range of KIM services, including records management, library and information services, and KIM support for public inquiries. We also work with other areas of the Department to deliver data protection (and related confidentiality) compliance.
The successful candidate will act as the deputy to the Department’s Data Protection Officer (DPO). They will support oversight of data protection governance and practice across all areas of the Department, leading on aspects of GDPR assurance and monitoring, and foster a privacy compliant culture. The post offers a unique opportunity to provide high-quality, expert and independent advice to senior levels of DLUHC, including on high-profile public policies and national emergency responses; recent examples have included electoral reform, building safety, and Covid-19.
Please read before applying
Important – To apply for this role you will need to submit a CV and covering letter. These need to be merged into one document. When submitting your application Applied will ask you to upload a CV, when doing this you should upload your merged document of your CV and covering letter. There are further details in the Selection Process section further below in this advert.
Here at the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC), we work on things that make a real difference to people’s lives.
Whether it’s through the homes we live in, the work of our local councils, or the communities we are all a part of, our work is at the top of the political agenda. We have ambitious and far-reaching outcomes to achieve this year and, if you are thinking of joining us, there’s never been a more exciting time.
Watch our short video below and familiarise yourself with our Candidate Pack to understand more about our priorities as a department, and what it is like to work at DLUHC.
The postholder will play a key role in ensuring data protection compliance and assurance in the Department and delivery of DPO functions as set out under UK GDPR. They will be responsible for oversight of, and leading delivery of areas within an annual GDPR monitoring and compliance programme for the Department, including reporting to senior DLUHC governance and management committees, and privacy audits. They will provide high-quality independent advice to all areas of DLUHC, including policy teams, corporate functions and senior civil servants. They will deputise for the DPO where required, including at cross-Government forums and with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The postholder will support the DPO in development and delivery of a Privacy Vision and Programme for DLUHC.
The postholder will also work closely alongside DLUHC’s data protection delivery team (which is separated from the independent DPO function), providing independent advice and support on data breach incidents; reviewing privacy risk assessments completed within DLUHC with the delivery team’s advice; and related GDPR areas.
· Demonstrable and significant experience in a middle- to senior-level data protection practice and delivery role, ideally in a complex organisation
(or related Knowledge & Information Management role)
· A strong understanding of data protection law and related privacy law with ability to apply this effectively to business and compliance requirements
· Demonstrable experience of planning and implementing information governance policies, control and information risk frameworks in a complex organisation
· The ability to influence, collaborate and communicate effectively (both verbally and in writing) with senior stakeholders both internal and external
· The ability to work autonomously and prioritise tasks under pressure
· Professional privacy or KIM qualification or accreditation – or the willingness to obtain once in post (with full financial support and mentoring).
· Demonstrable experience in successfully managing projects, providing solutions to problems and driving implementation of solutions.
· Audit or related assurance experience (e.g. completion of privacy audits)
· Awareness of information/cyber security principles and practice
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Changing and Improving
- Making Effective Decisions