This is an exciting time to join the Department for International Trade (DIT), where our aim is to promote British trade and investment around the world, which is vital for the prosperity of the UK. DIT brings together policy, promotion and financial expertise to break down barriers to trade and investment in global markets to help businesses succeed. This is a great opportunity to work in an international government department that plays a critical role in delivering the UK’s trade goals and future prosperity.
The Financial Governance team plays a unique role within the Finance, Assurance, Risk and Control (FARC) team. The Financial Governance Officer will be expected to work closely with all areas of the department and will regularly be communicating and delivering difficult messages to colleagues, including senior officials.
The successful candidate will be required to ensure that departmental Travel, Expenses and Subsistence policies are followed and will need to be confident in making decisions on compliance. The postholder will also play a crucial role in maintaining a high-level of compliance amongst DIT staff and will be required to ensure that departmental policies continue to evolve in line with DIT’s objectives and requirements. The successful candidate will also lead on the expense compliance process for the newly formed International Trade Advisor group, and this presents a unique opportunity to demonstrate your leadership and ensure compliance in this area from an early stage. Working with others, the successful candidate will also play a role in developing DIT’s internal control frameworks around travel and expenses and will be required to work with stakeholders from across the department, as well as external stakeholders, such as the Government Internal Audit Agency and UK SBS.
The postholder will be exposed to the wide variety of work the Financial Governance team undertakes, which presents a unique opportunity to cover multiple workstreams and work with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Effectively manage the departments travel and expenses policies, ensuring compliance across the department and promptly escalating any concerns or non-compliance to seniors
- Play a key role in providing advice to business units on travel, expense and subsistence policies
- Analyse and scrutinise employee travel and expenses claims with the ability to draw conclusions and present this data clearly and effectively
- Deliver difficult messages to stakeholders and be able to stand your ground when required
- Work with the department’s travel management company and commercial colleagues to ensure the department’s corporate travel offering remains appropriate
- Work with the department’s Shared Services Provider, UK SBS, to challenge existing processes and identify areas for improvement in respect of expenses management
- Develop and enhance the department’s expenses frameworks to provide further assurance that all travel and expense claims are representing value for money
The postholder will not have any line management responsibilities.
The role will be based in either Darlington or London. You will be asked to express a location preference during the application process.
Please be aware that this role can only be worked from within the UK and not overseas.
Informal hybrid working arrangements will be available as agreed with the vacancy manager and in line with the requirements of the role.
Most DIT employees will be working a hybrid pattern, spending 2-3 days a week (pro rata) in an office, on average. If your office location is London, you will be eligible to receive London weighting.
Appointments will be made to candidates in merit order based on location preferences.
Support in applying for our vacancies is available by joining a virtual Candidate Support Session. These sessions include helpful tips and advice on the recruitment process, from application to interview.
- Experience in a financial compliance environment, ideally in travel and expenses or similar
- Analytical skills and the ability to present complex information to finance and non-finance colleagues
- Be confident in delivering difficult messages to colleagues of all grades
- Good IT skills, including MS Excel
- Experience in creating or updating financial policies
- Experience in using PowerBI/Amazon Quicksight or equivalent
Personal Attributes & Skills
We are looking for:
• A confident individual with the ability to see the big picture and find ways to continuously improve the department’s travel and expenses policies and processes.
• An individual who is comfortable working with large amounts of data and who can draw conclusions and present these confidently.
• An excellent communicator who can clearly and concisely articulate issues
• A resilient and motivated individual, who can deliver difficult messages confidently whilst being able to stand their ground when challenged.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions
- Managing a Quality Service