An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Grade 6 leadership role, heading up our Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) team.
As head of FP&A you will lead our Management Accounting and Finance Business Partnering services through an ambitious period of change, being a key member of the Finance and wider Financial Planning and Performance leadership teams. If you want to make a genuine impact on both financial and organisational performance here at ONS and have the skills and experience to help deliver effective, efficient Finance services for our stakeholders, this high-profile role could be for you.
Here at the Office for National Statistics (ONS) we provide the data that shapes our nation. From public services to key government decision making, statistics are vital to every imaginable area of our lives. As such, it’s crucial that we make the most informed, credible, and efficient financial decisions – and, as a senior leader within the Finance team, it will be your job to help us do just that.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) is the UK’s largest producer of official statistics, covering a range of key economic, social and demographic topics. These include measuring changes in the value of the UK economy, estimating the size, geographic distribution and characteristics of the population, and providing indicators of price inflation, employment, earnings, crime and migration.
FP&A are a team of finance experts within the Finance Division focused on providing support, guidance, and challenge to our stakeholders, facilitating strong financial controls through budgeting, and forecasting cycles. We produce and report timely, robust, high quality financial information enabling informed decision making across ONS whilst ensuring value for money.
Through our network of effective Finance Business Partnering teams supporting all ONS directorates and our efficient core Finance Operations function, FP&A provides a professional finance and accountancy service for our customers, putting Finance at the heart of decision making, driving the agenda not just keeping score.
We are customer focused and thrive on developing and maintaining effective relationships within our Finance community, across ONS and with our wider external stakeholders to protect our financial integrity, enable informed decision making and advise the business, all underpinned by robust, evidence-based analysis.
This is an exciting and high-profile opportunity within Finance to lead the FP&A team through a period of change, building sustainability across the team and wider Finance community to effectively support our stakeholders and deliver value for money. You will have a genuine impact on both financial and organisational performance as Finance and the wider Office respond to significant changes.
- Lead the FP&A team of circa. 25 FTE (with direct line management of a leadership team of 7 FTE) to robustly manage and deliver core business as usual finance products and services with a focus on value for money.
- Champion change and continuous improvement of finance policies, processes, and systems to ensure controlled operations and future sustainability.
- Promote the wider Finance community across ONS and collaborate effectively with corporate functions and enablement teams and the new hub and spokes operating model to drive effective and efficient delivery of Finance services, role modelling our professional finance function through guidance and behaviours.
- Develop effective relationships and support key stakeholders to deliver timely financial insight through relevant and accurate financial reporting, advice, guidance, and challenge.
- Support the deputy Finance Director in developing strategic financial plans and monitoring in-year financial results against control totals and organisational plans, performing ad-hoc tasks and analysis on demand.
- Produce high quality financial information and reports for leadership and decision-making forums within ONS and externally, including the HM Treasury spending team, to support key fiscal events across a multi-year planning period.
- Work closely with leads on major projects, policies and programmes ensuring sound business cases are developed and monitored. Maintain a strong commercial focus and ensure options appraisal, risk management, internal control and governance procedures are adhered to.
- Keep current with developments in Government Finance and the accounting profession, playing an active role in the leadership and development of ONS Finance colleagues and financial capability uplift of those in the wider finance community and stakeholders with delegated financial responsibilities.
Wide experience of working at a senior leadership level across the finance function with recent experience in leading management accounting and finance business partnering activities.
- Significant experience in leading people and driving teams to deliver successful outcomes in a dynamic finance environment, building teams, delivering change, and promoting continuous improvement.
- Wide and varied experience in stakeholder relationship management particularly at senior level.
- Proven record of ability to produce robust and useful management accounts and reporting and managing a finance business partnering service.
- Proven ability to translate complex, technical advice for non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience of driving change and process and systems improvements in a finance context.
- A strong working knowledge of government accounting rules, Managing Public Money, VAT guidance, International Financial Reporting Standards, and business case best practice.
- Membership of a recognised accounting body (ICAEW/ACCA/CIMA/CIPFA)
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions
- Changing and Improving
- Seeing the Big Picture
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Strategic Finance – Grade 6 – Government Finance Framework