This role sits within the D&I and Change team as part of the People Strategy and Development team. This is a small team that leads on organisational culture and oversees the department’s ambition to be the most diverse and inclusive government department by 2025.
The team provides expert, impartial advice on D&I and Organisational Development using evidence and insight to set the strategic direction, aligned to the Civil Service Inclusion Strategy. The team ensures the delivery of evidenced based interventions to address priorities and supports culture change activity across a number of people strategy priorities eg. inclusion, performance and reward, hybrid and future ways of working. The team also leads on corporate induction and the People Survey.
D&I Policy Expertise
– Owning and developing DCMS D&I policy and using this and your knowledge of relevant legal frameworks, case law and guidance to provide policy advice and consultancy to internal stakeholders including the wider D&I team, HRBPs, Senior Leadership and Exec team.
– Working with others to develop D&I KPIs, collecting and analysing data to support the design and evaluation of strategy interventions.
– Providing a challenge and assurance function to ensure D&I outcomes are compliant with employment and equality legislation.
Networks and Stakeholders
– Maintaining a good understanding of and relationship with key internal and external D&I stakeholders, being cognisant of the different approaches being taken to D&I across government and elsewhere in the public and private sectors.
– Growing a community of practice across DCMS ALBs and sector bodies to influence and share evidence about what works and ensuring that our D&I strategy reflects the latest thinking and best practices.
– Building your network with CSHR and other specialists across Government by attending relevant shared D&I leadership forums, providing input and showcasing our approach as appropriate.
D&I Service Delivery
– Using your comprehensive knowledge of D&I to deliver high quality briefings and data driven insights for the senior team and DCMS governance bodies at pace and as required including contribution to FOIs and PQs.
– Bringing a user perspective to service delivery, regularly evaluating and gathering feedback on policy effectiveness, adopting a continuous improvement approach to reviewing and streamlining processes, guidance material and resources for staff.
– Working across teams to mainstream D&I thinking and policy in all people policies and processes, upskilling colleagues as required.
– Leading on projects with priorities determined by data and evidence of where interventions are needed and working closely with the PMO to raise, record and monitor key D&I policy and delivery risks. Developing and maintaining up to date plans using Centre of Excellence materials.
– Specialist D&I policy knowledge with a good understanding of equalities legislation, guidance and case law and how this intersects with HR policies and processes.
– Expert consultancy and service delivery skills – confident in interacting with, briefing and presenting to senior stakeholders and delivering with credibility.
– Skilled in data analysis and evaluation to inform priorities and support problem solving and evidence based decision making.
– Excellent stakeholder skills – able to influence and build relationships across boundaries and deliver results through others outside of formal line management relationships.
– Experienced in taking a customer/user perspective and developing and delivering process improvements to improve service delivery.
– CIPD qualified, or working towards, would be preferable although not essential.
– Project, Change Management or Organisational Development & Design qualification.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Delivering at Pace
- Communicating and Influencing
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application form:
- Making Effective Decisions