At BEIS, we are leading the UK’s recovery from coronavirus and are building a stronger, greener country. Our varied work makes a real difference to people across the UK and internationally. This is a fantastic opportunity to become part of the BEIS team and our exciting mission!
We lead on the UK’s commitments to tackle climate change and drive green economic growth. We support businesses to create jobs and increase opportunity in regions across the UK. We also encourage investment and innovation to make the UK a science superpower producing research that will improve lives.
Our Inclusive Environment
We are building an inclusive culture to make BEIS a brilliant place to work where our people feel valued, have a voice and can be their authentic selves. We value difference and diversity, not only because we believe it is the right thing to do, but because it will help us be more innovative and make better decisions.
We offer first-class flexible working benefits, excellent employee well-being support and a great pension. We are fortunate to have a range of excellent staff networks and are proud to be a Disability Confident Leader employer. We will support talented people from all backgrounds to build a career and thrive.
We actively welcome applications from anyone who shares our commitment to inclusion. We will fully support candidates with a disability or long-term condition who require adjustments in our recruitment process.
The post sits in the Shared Services Team, a fantastic team passionate on improving the existing shared services experience for BEIS and its partners whilst working to deliver the strategic objectives of the new Government Shared Services Strategy through the Matrix Programme.
We are looking for an experienced Programme Manager/Delivery Lead to lead the BEIS programme on a day to day and strategic basis and act as the engagement manager with Subject Matter Experts across BEIS and partners. You will be responsible for driving and leading all aspects of delivery of the BEIS Internal Change Programme, ensuring it aligns with the Matrix Programme to deliver shared services across multiple departments. You will have a key role in project governance and working with stakeholders, to ensure the agreed project outputs are delivered to enable benefits to be realised.
• Leadership vision & objectives: Cascade vision and translate into delivery objectives for the team. Lead the programme to deliver the business case benefits and outcomes.
• Representation: Deputise for the Departmental Lead where required, ensure BEIS views on shared services are accurately represented.
• Communications & Stakeholder Management: Lead internal and external relationships as appropriate, and track these through the use of stakeholder mapping and associated techniques.
• Dependency Management: Work with project leads and business as usual to ensure dependencies are actively managed, act as an arbiter and resolve issues between the various elements of the programme.
• Guidance: Provide direction and guidance on development of programmatic ways of working to team and more broadly across departmental profession.
• Risks & Issues: Lead all aspects of risk and issue management, escalating where required through programme governance. Ensure mitigations are in place and resolved through negotiated agreement.
• Benefits realisation: Ensure realisation of benefits for customers through planning and designing and ensure that project outputs meet programme requirements.
• Programme Performance & Controls: Maintain overall integrity and coherence of programme and governance framework to support each project. Plan programme assurance activities and help support key activity such as gateway reviews, spending review, and business planning.
• Planning: Define the fundamental components of a project in terms of its scope, deliverables, time scales, resource requirements and budget.
• Governance: Clearly define roles, responsibilities and accountabilities and establish controls and approval routes appropriate to each stage of the programme to monitor progress and compliance.
Skills and Experience
It is essential that the successful candidate has experience of leading complex projects and programmes and strong grounding in project and programme management. An understanding of shared services would also be beneficial. Does this sound like the role for you? We would love to hear from you if can demonstrate:
• The ability to establish and develop productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders, bringing people together to benefit the project.
• The ability to influence, change and impact decisions with both internal and external stakeholders.
• The ability to independently work to provide key Programme Management skills including planning, governance and risk and issue management.
• Experience in engaging, motivating and mentoring colleagues, acting as a role model to inspire and empower others.
Required: Qualifications or significant experience equivalent to that set out in the Project Delivery Capability Framework for a Programme Manager G6 Role:
Project/Programme Management Qualifications:
Managing Successful Programmes Practitioner
Managing Successful Programmes Advanced Practitioner
APM Registered Project Professional
Major Projects Leadership Academy.
Project Management – describe a significant project/programme you have led that demonstrates your capability.
Ability and Knowledge – aligned to the Project Delivery Capability Framework here
Experience of shared services such as Finance, HR and Procurement would be advantageous.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Delivering at Pace
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Project Management
- Ability and Knowledge
We only ask for evidence of these technical skills on your application form:
- Project Management