The UK’s tech sector is now valued at $1 trillion – only the third country in the world to ever reach this landmark valuation. The UK is the proud home of 116 unicorns, the third largest number in the world, which is more than France and Germany combined. As part of the Government’s ambitions to secure our status as a Science and Tech Superpower, the Department for International Trade (DIT) is committed to continuing to enable this sector to grow and thrive by connecting UK tech companies to business opportunities, promoting the UK as a destination for tech companies to set up and grow a business, and also relationship manage key companies who have already invested in the UK.
This role is helping the UK tech sector take advantage of the Indo Pacific tilt, which recognises India and Asia Pacific as the emerging source of global growth. As home to some of the world’s fastest growing digital economies, the countries of this region present export opportunities a plenty, strategic investment prospects and huge potential for collaboration.
The successful candidate will work with colleagues based overseas and in the UK to develop and deliver on export, investment and policy work, aligned to DIT’s strategic objectives, for the countries of Thailand, the Philippines, South Korea, and Japan.
Joining this team would be an amazing opportunity to dive headfirst into a fast-paced and dynamic directorate in the Civil Service and play a direct role in executing the UK’s Indo Pacific tilt.
Key activities will include:
- Building an understanding of the UK Technology sector, networking with UK businesses and helping build the export pipeline into the Asia Pacific. This will involve travel around the country to attend UK based technology exhibitions and meetings
- Leading trade missions of companies to Japan, Korea, Thailand and the Philippines
- Managing programmes for delegations or individual companies/public officials who are visiting the UK as part of our trade and investment campaign. You will be helping key investment prospects from Asia into the UK by promoting the UK as a Science and Tech Superpower to Asian technology companies and Asian customers of UK technology
- Account manage UK high growth and innovative tech companies. Develop relationships and report back to Whitehall on relevant information
- Contributing to cross-Whitehall commissions and to government strategies on digital and tech policy and opportunities
- Building relationships across Whitehall and across the stakeholder ecosystem in order to build the profile of the Technology team and the joint DIT/DCMS Digital Trade Network (DTN)
- Supporting the Asia Pacific Digital Trade Network in key projects and initiatives
- Working on cross-team projects with colleagues working on other regions (EMEA, the Americas)
- Coordinate, project manage and, in some cases, lead on the delivery of the UK – ASEAN Digital Innovation Partnership in collaboration with colleagues living in the region
- Maintain and improve the Technology team’s online communications (email outreach, website content etc.)
- Contribute to key bilateral engagements (e.g. JETCOs) between the UK and Japan, Korea, Thailand and the Philippines by providing policy advice on the direction on tech/digital
- Author briefs for senior civil servants and ministers at major bilateral forums (e.g. at MWC, at the TechUK UK – Japan Forum)
The role will be based in either Darlington or London. You will be asked to express a location preference during the application process.
Please be aware that this role can only be worked from within the UK and not overseas.
Informal hybrid working arrangements will be available as agreed with the vacancy manager and in line with the requirements of the role.
Most DIT employees will be working a hybrid pattern, spending 2-3 days a week (pro rata) in an office, on average. This team works on Tuesdays in London, and the other office days are free for you to choose. If your office location is London, you will be eligible to receive London weighting.
Appointments will be made to candidates in merit order based on location preferences.
- Confidence and experience in engaging and building relationships with stakeholders of all levels of seniority (internal and external), with demonstrable success of doing so
- Proactive in coming up with fresh approaches and delivering them alongside the rest of the team
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively within a team
- Project management experience and the ability to manage multiple concurrent projects, with proven track record of successful programme delivery including project reporting, evaluation and stakeholder management
- Interest in technology and enthusiasm to learn about the technology ecosystem
- Experience or demonstrated interest in the technology sector
- Interest or experience working with the Asia Pacific region (with specific reference to Thailand, the Philippines, Japan or Korea)
We are looking for an energetic, conscientious, and dedicated go-getter, who is keen to learn quickly, work collaboratively and to run major projects in a fast-paced environment.
While we don’t require a background in either the region or the technology sector, demonstrated interest or experience in either or both would be a definite bonus.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions
- Managing a Quality Service
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application form:
- Communicating and Influencing