Join a team at the heart of the global economy!
We create digital services, data tools and technology for businesses to prosper around the world. Have a look at our video!
Our Digital, Data and Technology team develops and operates tools, services, and platforms such as great.gov.uk that enable the UK government to provide world leading support to businesses in the UK and overseas.
You’ll get to constantly push boundaries in an environment free of heavy legacy, driven by curiosity, social purpose, diversity of thought, entrepreneurship, and the aspiration to offer an incredible experience to all our users. Find out more on our blog, Digital Trade.
User Researchers are key figures in our digital product teams. DIT’s success in international trade depends on our understanding of exporters and investors and building services that meet their needs.
We are looking for User Researchers to join our growing profession, so that we are able to deepen our user insight and become stronger advocates for people who need and use DIT’s services.
As a User Researcher, you will be …
Supporting our teams to develop a deep understanding of the people who use our services – citizens, businesses, or across government. Your findings will enable our product teams to design and deliver better services quickly, with less risk, and at lower cost.
You will be part of an active user research community that is developing the department’s user research capability.
Successful candidates will have experience of running user research as part of a user-centred design process. You should also have experience working on multidisciplinary digital teams and delivering products and services in agile environments.
You will be responsible for:
- Plan, design and prepare a range of user research activities to support the design, development and continuous improvement of services
- Carry out user research activities, from recruiting participants and preparing discussion guides, to moderating user testing sessions
- Analyse research data to synthesise clear and actionable findings, and work closely with analytics colleagues to create a rich picture of user behaviour
- Confidently explain user needs to colleagues, and act as a persuasive advocate for those needs both within the team and the organisation at large
- Shape research to facilitate delivery at pace, with a commitment to agile, user centred and continuous iterative development
- Work closely with product managers, designers and developers to turn user research findings into actions that lead to valuable products and services
- Complete literature reviews and other desk research to build and reinforce delivery teams’ understanding of their problem space and user groups
- Contribute to the user research community at DIT, and promote user centred design principles and best practice within the department and across government
- Understanding and experience of using a range of user research methods, knowing when to use them and how to apply them correctly
- Experience of applying a range of techniques for analysis of research data and synthesis of clear findings that colleagues can understand and use
- Being an effective advocate for users, with the ability to present research findings in compelling and innovative ways, making recommendations based on sound analysis
- Analysis and Synthesis
- DDaT Standards Outside your Discipline
- Inclusive Research
- Research Skills
- Agile and multi-disciplinary working practices
- Research management, leadership and assurance
- Stakeholder relationship management
- User centred practice advocacy
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions